Schedule Award Claims for Permanent Impairment

Schedule Award Claims for Permanent Impairment

Federal employees who sustain permanent work-related injuries are often eligible to file a schedule award claim in addition to a claim for wage loss compensation through the Federal Employees’ Compensation Act (FECA).

Often overlooked by claimants and inexperienced law firms, permanent impairment claims do not have a filing deadline. In fact, some claimants have obtained tens of thousands of dollars by filing this type of claim decades after sustaining their injury.

How do you know if you’re eligible to file a schedule award claim, and how does the claim process work? Below are answers to a few key questions regarding this area of the federal workers’ compensation program.

How is Compensation Calculated for a Schedule Award Claim?

Calculations are based on the level of impairment an injury has caused. Compensation is provided for the permanent loss or loss of use of certain body parts and functions. Partial loss or loss of use is compensated on a proportional basis.

How Can I Claim Compensation?

Injured federal workers with permanent injuries may request a schedule award from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) by submitting a CA-7 Claim for Schedule Award accompanied by an impairment rating completed by their physician. The DOL will only rate an impairment after the employee has reached his or her maximum medical improvement.

How Does the DOL Rate Permanent Impairments?

The DOL provides a table showing the number of weeks’ payment available for specific impaired body parts or functions. Click here for the complete table.

Do I Need Legal Assistance to File a Permanent Impairment Claim?

You are not legally required to have a lawyer file your claim. However, the process can be complex and few doctors are experienced in providing permanent impairment ratings in accordance with the DOL’s strict standards. Our claimants benefit greatly from the assistance of lawyers who specifically focus on obtaining compensation for federal workers through the DOL Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs.

Can Uliase & Uliase Help Me with My Permanent Impairment Claim?

The attorneys at Uliase & Uliase have the experience and knowledge to take full advantage of the federal compensation system for their clients, including obtaining additional compensation through permanent impairment claims.

Many injured federal workers are unaware that they are entitled to additional compensation for permanent injuries sustained on the job. To find out if you’re eligible and to take the next step, call (856) 310-9002 or email our office to schedule a meeting.

There’s No Better Time to Get Started