Occupational Disease Claims

Occupational Disease Claims

If you have contracted a disease or illness in the course of performing your duties as a federal employee, you can seek workers’ compensation benefits by filing a Notice of Occupational Disease and Claim for Compensation (U.S. Department of Labor form CA-2). These types of claims are far more difficult to prove, and require that you follow specific procedures. This blog post provides a brief description of what qualifies as an occupational disease, as well as the steps you need to take to process a claim.

To seek compensation for an occupational disease or illness, you must show that you have a medical condition that was produced in a work environment of more than one workday. An occupational disease customarily involves such factors as exposure to hazardous substances, including fumes, toxins, radiation, poisons or particles. It can also arise from systemic infection, as well as repeated stress or strain.

To successfully pursue a claim for benefits for an occupational illness as a federal worker, you must submit two documents to support your case:

  • A report from your personal or attending physician.
    The report must include the date of examination and any treatment provided, descriptions of any tests conducted, such as x-rays or blood tests. The report must also be dated and signed. If the report does not specifically state that your job caused or aggravated your condition, you cannot win your claim. You have 30 days from the date of the medical report to file your CA-2.
  • A statement documenting the nature of your duties and exposure at work. You must provide a signed statement describing your duties at work, with a detailed description of what you do on a daily basis. You should prepare this statement with the assumption that the examiner (the person who will read it) knows nothing about what you do. You will want to include details such as whether you are required to lift items, if there are chemicals or other substances to which you are regularly exposed, and whether your workplace is temperature controlled. You must give this statement to the physician who prepares your medical report.

Contact Uliase & Uliase

For an appointment with an experienced New Jersey federal worker injury lawyer, contact our office online or call us at (856) 310-9002. We are available to meet with you weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. to schedule an appointment with our experienced federal employee injury lawyers. We are open weekdays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. We offer a free consultation for injured workers.

There’s No Better Time to Get Started