With the U.S. military presence around the globe, there are literally thousands of individuals who work as civilians on those installations. As a general rule, when you suffer an injury as a civilian employee of an overseas American military base, you must seek workers’ compensation benefits under the Non-Appropriated Funds Instrumentalities Act (NAFI). Non-appropriated funds instrumentalities are those that do not receive their principal funding from the U.S. federal government. This would include base or post exchanges or commissaries that pay employees out of the profits of the business, or restaurants that pay employees out of proceeds.

Under NAFI, when you suffer an injury in the course of your employment, as an employee of a non-appropriated fund instrumentality, you can apply for benefits to cover:

  • Any reasonable and necessary medical care, as established by the terms of the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA). You must choose a doctor who has been authorized by the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs (OWCP) as a care provider.
  • Total or partial disability, on either a temporary or permanent basis, at a maximum rate of two-thirds of your average weekly wage (AWW) for the last 52 weeks.
    NAFI also authorizes death benefits to be paid to survivors of workers who would qualify for workers’ compensation benefits under the statute.

To collect benefits, you must submit a written application for compensation within one calendar year of your injury. However, your employer must be notified of your injury within 30 days. You must also seek medical treatment for any injury you sustain, or you will not be able to recover benefits.

Contact Uliase & Uliase

At Uliase & Uliase, we have extensive knowledge of the federal workers‘ compensation system. To schedule an appointment, contact our office online or call us at 856-310-9002. We offer a free consultation for injured workers.